OWL Interview with Lesley from Fresh Lengths


Hello, OWL peeps!  Today I have an interview with Lesley Buckle from Fresh Lengths.  She blogs about beauty and hair care and I love her blog because it's so clear that she's filling a need with her practical, specialized advice (plus I can relate with the hair challenges that come with being a mixed race!).  In this interview, I focus on Lesley's experience with blogging because she's really quite good at it!  
It's clear that your blog is giving a lot of value to the people following your advice and progress.  On the other side of the coin, can you share what value you have received from blogging?

The main thing I have received is confidence. My readers have left such lovely comments and compliments, which is always so unexpected. Knowing that people have an interest in your blog has definitely been encouraging to keep on at it. It has also kept me focused with my hair goals.

What has been the most challenging part of keeping a blog?

Keeping it up has definitely been the most challenging part. I started my blog last year after leaving University to give me something to focus on besides filling out job applications. I had so much time on my hands which was quite daunting. This situation didn't last (thankfully). I completed a 10 week internship last summer and have also had full-time jobs since which has meant trying to balance a blog with work and a social life can be difficult. I am lucky that I have a really supportive boyfriend who encourages my blogging and lends a hand when taking pictures of the back of my head.

How do you think your life would be different if you never started blogging?

Having a blog made getting an internship at a magazine a lot easier. I love writing and have a passion for beauty, but I had nothing to prove it prior to blogging. By continuing to blog other writing opportunities have come along since. For some time I told myself I couldn't do journalism, as it’s such a hugely competitive industry. Starting a blog has definitely changed my mindset and whilst I'm not certain it'll lead directly to a career in journalism, I think it will help. 

Where do you see Fresh Lengths going in the future?


I am hoping to appeal to people with different hair types, not just those who are relaxed. More general hair tips, perhaps interviews of other bloggers and guest posts will feature on the blog in the future. Hair will always remain a large part of the content, but I’m hoping to branch out into fashion posts eventually and become more like a lifestyle blog. In the future, videos will play a bigger part in the blog content. I have always thought YouTube was a good way to connect with my audience but it took me a while to publish my first video. I just don’t have much knowledge when it comes to creating and editing videos yet, so it’s a massive learning curve for me. Writing a blog post definitely seems easier and comes more naturally.
What advice would you give to someone just starting out with blogging?

Please don’t worry about what people think and write about what you love. It sounds cliché, but it’s your blog and it should be for you first and foremost. I have been asked a lot how to get followers or how to get PR’s to contact you. I am by no means an expert but I’d suggest getting involved with the blogging community by reading and commenting on other’s blogs. Also be active with social media – you never know who could end up noticing you! 

4 comments:

  1. I just started to follow Lesly and I am already in love with her. She is such a sweetheart.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leslie is amazing. She just introduced me to your blog which I'm quickly falling in love with.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lesley is definitely one of my faves! I really do enjoy reading her posts. Keep it up girl!
    Abbi of http://belowthawaist.blogspot.jp/

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you for reading and commenting, ladies! :)

    ReplyDelete

Blogging tips
Real Time Analytics