How to Mind-Map Your Day


Whenever my mind or schedule feels particularly all over the place, I approach my day from the foundation of mind-mapping it all out first.

Mind-mapping allows you to write the way you think - with one thought branching off into another and then another.  When it comes to planning my day, I mind-map in two ways - depending on the kind of day I'm having...

EXAMPLE #1: ERRAND-BASED MIND-MAP EXAMPLE

FOR DAYS WHEN I'M RUNNING ALOT OF ERRANDS
  1. I fill in the circles with the different places I'm going, determining where I'm going first, then second, then third, etc.
  2. To the left of the circles, I write down the time that I plan to be at each location.
  3. To the right of the circles, I branch off into the tasks that I plan accomplish at each location.
Here's what is on the mind-map above:

- HOME: confirm meeting with Miranda; 20 minutes yoga
- 11am // BANK: close bank account
- 2pm // CAFE: meeting: STP and samples
- 4pm // POST OFFICE: buy stamps; mail back Old Navy package
- 5pm // HOME: make lasagna for dinner

*After I mind-map my day like this, I'll transfer these tasks onto the To-Do List section.

EXAMPLE #2: AREAS-OF-MY-LIFE MIND-MAP EXAMPLE

FOR DAYS WHEN I JUST WANT TO SEE MYSELF MAKE PROGRESS IN MY LIFE IN GENERAL:
  1. I fill in the circles with the things in my life that I want to focus on that day: my health, my blog, my clients, etc.
  2. To the right of the circles, I branch off into the tasks related to each area of focus.
Here's what is on the mind map above:

- OWL: post new listing on Etsy; finish designing SOS printables
- FEA: upload new posts in Edgar; create blog post graphics
- HEALTH: exercise 20 minutes; buy organic bananas at fruit stand
- FINANCES: update accounting
- CLAIRE: send invoice

*Again, after I finish mind-mapping my day like this, I'll transfer the tasks to my To Do List.

There you have it! I've been using this method for years and it still saves me from going crazy. :)


2 comments:

  1. I love it! This might just work for me that has a hard time with writing to do lists and filling out my addenda. I will let you know fellow S.O. S members

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hope it works for you, Jane. :) I have a busy day today running around meeting clients, taking my brothers to their sporting events, going to the bank, and more. I'm definitely doing an errand based mind-map this morning.

      Delete

Blogging tips
Real Time Analytics